Co-operatives are one of the most sustainable business models for new enterprise start-ups. Co-operatives provide over 100 million jobs around the world, 20% more than multinational enterprises.
The Irish Co-operative Organisation Society (ICOS) supports the creation and development of commercially viable co-operatives that are structured, and focused on the economic drivers promoted through co-operative principles.
ICOS is at the forefront of co-operative development in Ireland. We are the leading organisation for registering new co-operatives in Ireland. We also:
- Provide advice and guidance on co-operative start-ups and development
- Promote co-operatives as a stronger sustainable economic business model
- Lobby and promote best practice on behalf of the co-operative sector in Ireland
- Encourage networking and cooperation amongst co-operatives to drive economic growth in the sector.
Did you know?
- ICOS members and their associated companies generate sales of €12 billion per annum
- Over 3 million people on the island of Ireland are members of a co-operative
- More than 1 in 3 Europeans are members of co-ops. There are 250,000 co-ops in Europe, owned by 163 million Europeans, employing 5.4 million
- 2011 European Champions League Winners Barcelona is a co-operative with 150,000 owner members. 10 of the 11 starting players in the 2010 FIFA World Cup winning Spanish football team work for a co-operative